Social media apps like Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube have emerged as saviors at a time of lockdowns due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Instagram is one of the most popular apps amongst millennials. People use Instagram to see memes, videos, and follow celebrities. Instagram also caters to individuals trying to develop themselves as personal brands.
But if you think that Instagram is consuming a lot of time and you want an indefinite break, one way is to deactivate Instagram account permanently or close Instagram account temporarily as per your choice.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to find out how to deactivate your Instagram account.
How To Deactivate Instagram Account Permanently?
- Open the Instagram app on your phone and tap on the profile icon.
- Tap on the three-bar menu icon and then select Settings in the pop-up menu.
- Now tap Help and then, tap on the Help Center button
- You will now be redirected to a new Instagram search page. Type Delete in the search bar and choose the “How do I delete my Instagram account” option.
- Select the Delete Instagram account page
- Give a reason as to why you are deleting your account. Then, re-enter the password for your Instagram account
- Tap on the Permanently delete my Instagram account button
Keep in mind that once you permanently deactivate Instagram account, you cannot re-access your account. You can create a new Instagram account but you will not be able to extract information from the previous account. Alternatively, you have the option to temporarily deactivate Instagram account.
How To Deactivate Instagram Account Temporarily
- Login to Instagram via a web browser.
- Tap on the profile icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap Edit Profile
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap on Temporarily disable my account.
- Give a reason as to why you want to temporarily delete your Instagram account and then re-enter your password.
- Now, tap on the Temporarily disable account button to close Instagram account temporarily
Instagram will now temporarily remove you from the platform without erasing your data. If you temporarily deactivate the Instagram account, people won’t find you in search, or in their followers, and following.
Will I lose followers if I deactivate my Instagram account?
Yes, you will also lose all the uploaded posts, saved posts, followers as well as people you are following if you disable Instagram permanently.
However, the case is different if you temporarily delete the Instagram account. Your account will only be removed from the platform on a temporary basis and you can always re-access it.
How many times can you deactivate Instagram account?
You can temporarily deactivate your Instagram account once a week. In other words, if you disable your account this week but come back for some reason, you cannot disable it until the week is over.
Can I deactivate Instagram account twice?
You can deactivate your account twice if you are doing so temporarily. But keep in mind that once you deactivate your account, you will have to wait a week to deactivate it again.
Will Instagram delete my account in 30 days?
After a time span of 30 days, your Instagram account will be permanently deleted and your username will be removed from the platform too.
Unlike a few other platforms that let you reactivate before a certain period, you can’t access your Instagram account after selecting the permanently delete account option, despite the 30-day window.
Does Instagram keep deleted accounts?
Instagram stores all information about the deleted accounts including the posts and other stuff as a record.
Once the account is permanently deleted, there is no way to recover it. That being said, you can try contacting Instagram support since they tend to recover deleted accounts but that entirely depends on how you present your case.
What do I lose if I delete the Instagram app?
If you just uninstall the Instagram app form your smartphone, then you will not lose any data including posts and your comments. Your followers and the following list will also remain unchanged.
You can reinstall the Instagram app anytime and login to your account to start using the platform.