After some waiting and some speculation, Xiaomi has officially released its next-generation operating system dubbed the MIUI 11 at an event in China. The company unveiled the Mi 9 Pro 5G, the Mi Mix Alpha and the Mi Full Screen TV Pro alongside.
Xiaomi’s new version of its OS comes with a slew of features for all Xiaomi fans to be excited about. The primary feature is the various visual changes added to the OS for eye-pleasing user experience. Here’s a look at all the features being offered:
1. MIUI 11 will come with a new font-scaling feature that will allow users to change the size of the text based on the content display. This will improve the readability of the content displayed on the screen and will make room for more visibility. For the same, Xiaomi has received the Red Dot Design Award for 2019.
2. Further making changes to the visuals, Xiaomi added a plethora of new always-on-display effects with new animations, personalized texts, and notifications from social media, so that the display appears to be a reflection of the owner with a personalized touch.
3. As for the audio, MIUI 11 will bring in new soothing sounds such as the chirping of birds and more for calming sounds when an alarm tries to wake you up. The sound will change once the time of the day changes so that it matches the time.
4. For enhanced usability, MIUI 11 has built-in apps such as Mi Go and Mi Work. While the Mi Go app will allow for improved power-saving functionality, the Mi Work app will help in the file transfer of work-related files (from smartphones to other smartphones or PCs) and even in screencasting work presentations.
5. MIUI 11 has also introduced the ability to send media to other devices at great speeds. This functionality will work much like Apple’s AirDrop feature, except it will be a cross-platform method mainly with OPPO and Vivo devices. Additionally, file transfer from a Xiaomi smartphone to a laptop will also become easier.
6. The new OS version has a new file management system for easy viewing of documents much like a computer, a new document viewer, and document projection (to cast documents, apps, videos, and games).
7. There’s a new screen time feature that will let you keep an eye on your smartphone usage to curb addiction, much like Google’s Digital Wellbeing and Apple’s Screen Time.
8. MIUI 11 has added camera features such as the creation of photo movies based on the photos taken under the Time Album feature, and the feature that will select the best photo out of similar pictures with the use of AI.
9. It also has a Family Guard feature and a new Children’s space feature with content for children. Furthermore, the Xiaomi OS will have the SOS feature and the earthquake warning feature.
10. What’s more? There will be a direct printing option without the need for an app, enhanced privacy and security features, and a to-do list with the new reminder feature.
11. Additional changes include game acceleration, Quick Reply, Smart password filling, and more.
Starting today, the closed beta version of MIUI 11 will be available to users via WeChat. Following this, an open beta version of MIUI will be available from September 27 in China. A stable version of MIUI 11 will be up for grabs in October.
However, there’s no word on when MIUI 11 will be available outside of China.
Here’s a list of all the Xiaomi smartphones that will receive the MIUI 11 based on Android 10:
Also Read: Xiaomi To Finally Let Users Disable MIUI Ads