Short Bytes: Microsoft has finally allowed the Fast Ring Insiders to install and run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10. This has been made possible with the help of latest Windows 10 Anniversary Update Preview Build 14316. Read more to know how to enable Linux subsystem and run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10. (Update: This feature is now available to all users who are running Windows 10 Anniversary Update)
At last week’s Build 2016 Developer’s Conference, Microsoft announced that it’ll be bringing tons of new features to Windows 10 users later this summer. These updates will be a part of Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
During the announcement, Microsoft focused on a key change in Windows 10 in the form of new Ubuntu binaries to allow you to install and run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10. About this announcement, Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical founder, said — “In our journey to bring free software to the widest possible audience, this is not a moment we could have predicted.”
Fulfilling its promise, Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Insider build to the Fast Ring channel in the form of version 14316. For those who don’t know, the Windows 10 Fast Ring is the Insider channel that receives the first pre-release build of Windows 10.
Before going ahead and looking at the steps to install Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10, make sure that you are a part of the Fast Ring.
Well, if you aren’t a part of the circle and you wish to join the Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, here’s what needs to be done:
How to join Windows 10 Fast Ring to get Bash on Ubuntu on Window 10?
I’ll assume that you’re running Windows 10. To check if you are a part of Windows 10 Fast or Slow Ring, just click on the Windows logo on your desktop and go to Settings.
- Now, click on Update & security icon on the windows to open the Windows Update page.
- Locate Advanced options on this page and find the Get Insider builds section. Look for the section labeled Choose how you get your Insider builds and switch from Slow to Fast.
Update your Windows 10 OS to get Insider Build Version 14316:
Now the next step is to run the normal Windows Update by clicking Check for updates. This step will prompt your Windows 10 installation to check for the latest Windows 10 Fast Ring build.
Download the update and schedule a time for installation.
How to enable Developer Mode and Linux Subsystem on Windows 1o?
Now you are running Windows 10 build 14316, so, it’s time to launch the Windows 10 Developer mode to install any signed app and use advanced development features. This feature is a new addition and you need to enable this setting to run Bash on Windows 10.
- To enable Developer mode in Windows 10, open Settings and go to Update & Security.
- Locate For Developers option in left tab and select Developer Mode.
- Now select Turn Windows features on or off after searching in the Start Menu.
- As the next step in our process of running Bash on Windows 10, you need to locate Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) and check the box to enable it.
- Wait till the feature is installed on your Windows 10 PC. Now, reboot your system and proceed with how to install and run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows tutorial.
How to install and run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 1o?
Once you’ve enabled Developer Mode and Linux Subsystem on Windows 10, it’s to download Ubuntu binaries and install them on your Windows 10 PC.
- To do this, you need to open a Command Prompt window. Now type bash and hit enter. This will show the following message:
– – Beta feature – –
This will install Ubuntu on Windows, distributed by Canonical and licensed under its terms available here:
Type “y” to continue
- Well, the next obvious step is to enter y to continue. This will ask Windows 10 to download Bash from Windows Store in few minutes.
- Now, to run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10, you need to open a new Command Prompt window and type bash and hit enter. So, now you are right inside in the Unix Bash shell.
- You can see the Ubuntu version by hitting lsb_release command.
Alternatively, you can use Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10 by using the new desktop app:
Here it is:
Here’s a demo video showing more about Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, take a look and know more about the feature:
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Or, are you facing any problem? Let us know in comments below.