Thanks to the programming language’s numerous benefits, flexibility, and reputation for reliability, Python software development is a booming industry and one of the most sought out IT services in today’s market.
A Brief History of Python
Python is a general-purpose, high-level programming language widely used for a variety of development projects. It was designed and created by Guido van Rossum and released in 1991 after development in the late 80s. Initially, the language was created as a response to the ABC programming language from the Netherlands.
Van Rossum created a language that puts an emphasis on code readability. This allows engineers to express concepts and build out ideas in fewer lines of code compared to other programming languages. This makes it much more simplistic and streamlined to develop projects in Python.
Its multiple programming paradigms make Python a favorite for use in larger or enterprise-level organizations, but it’s beloved by developers at organizations of all sizes and business verticals. It features object-oriented, imperative, and functional programming as well as a large standard library, dynamic features, and helpful memory management.
Why Do Developers Choose Python?
Python is the go-to programming language for a large majority of developers in today’s tech landscape and has been since its inception in the early 90s. It’s numerous benefits and streamlined functions make it a top contender for software development projects.
Below are just a few reasons why many developers gravitate towards Python when choosing a programming language:
- Python is free and always will be. Python, its set of supporting tools of expansion, libraries, and modules are all totally free. Most of its popular integrated development environments (IDEs), including PTVS, Pydev, Eclipse, and Spyder Python are all downloadable for free. It’s an open-source language and free to use for everyone thanks to the support of the Python Software Foundation.
- It’s utilized by the biggest names in technology. Python is the preferential programming language for a majority of the giants in the world of information technology. This includes Google, Dropbox, Instagram, and Spotify, just to name a few. Outside of the world of IT, many other enormous organizations utilize this powerful language as well, including Disney, NASA, and Electronic Arts.
- It’s easy to work with and reduces development time. Written in a human readable format, Python makes the software development process swift, user-friendly, and as simplified as possible. If a developer has a basic knowledge of any other programming language, they can easily learn Python and implement it into projects.
Compared to other languages, Python is 5 to 10 times faster in terms of development time. It provides enhanced process control capabilities and an object-oriented design to aid in both speed and productivity. The simplistic context and user-friendly data structures of the language make it easy for developers to read and write. The shortened timelines associated with Python also mean fewer expenses and development costs for Python development companies and their clients.
- A large online community backs Python. Chances are that if a developer runs into a problem or encounters an error with Python, another dev has already found a solution to it. Python is backed by a large online community of supporters and other programmers who work to constantly improve its functionalities and features. Also, it’s easy to get quick support for complex issues when using it.
- It’s highly flexible and scalable. Python enables developers to adapt higher-level application logic without needing to change user requirements or make changes to underlying fundamental components. It makes it easy to expand complex applications as needed as well. This makes it simpler to respond to customer requirements at a faster pace while gaining a first-mover advantage.
- It’s a great option for more complex application and software development projects. – Thanks to Python’s data analysis and visualization features, the language enables developers to present and visualize data in a highly effective manner. Its simplistic structure aids in the development of complex scientific and numeric applications.
This also makes Python one of the best programming languages for Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence projects. Python’s simple syntax enables data scientists to quickly develop Artificial Intelligence projects without needing to put in the time and effort to learn a more complex programming language.
Python is one of the most popular programming languages of today – and with good reason. It’s free, open-source, robust, and secure while still allowing for easy scalability and flexibility when needed. It’s backed by a large and helpful online community as well.
Python also reduces the time and costs associated with the development of software projects. The language’s many advantages have already made it a favorite amongst the development community and it will stay a favorite for the foreseeable future as technology continues to progress.