Short Bytes: If you want to increase your Wi-Fi speed, the first criteria would be to get the best Wi-Fi signal. There is no way out where you can leverage your Wi-Fi data without getting the best Wi-Fi signal with a good strength. fossbBytes has come up with an article covering all the aspects of getting the best Wi-Fi signal by telling you how interference, Wi-Fi channel, the line of sight etc. matters.
Since we are all paying for the data usage, it's our right to utilize the Wi-Fi to its fullest which we ignore because we take life as it comes. So, we have come up with some tricks and tweaks on how can we get the best Wi-Fi signal in our house.
How to Get the Best Wi-Fi signal in your house:
- Put the Wi-Fi router ideally in the central location of the house as a Wi-Fi router extends the Wi-Fi signal in every direction.
- Avoid keeping the Wi-Fi router in one of the corners of your house because more than half of our Wi-Fi signals are ended up providing connections in the neighborhood.
- If your data port lies on one of the corners of the house then consider running a long ethernet cable to the center of the house, it does not cost much.
- Remember, any solid structure like a wooden wall or a concrete wall are impediments to the Wi-Fi signal.
- Do not forget the Wi-Fi antenna. They have some serious effect on the quality of the signal you receive. If you have not one, better buy one to get more coverage and stronger signal.
- You can use a plenty of apps available out there for free of cost to measure your Wi-Fi signal strength. This way, you can easily decide the perfect or at least, close-to-perfect location for your Wi-Fi router.
In our previous article, The Best Place to Put Your Wi-Fi Router – Explained by Physics, we have covered some of the important points on how a Phd scholar named Jason cole derived some results on the Wi-Fi signals on a mathematical modeling mapping of his flat and here are some of the results:
- Wi-Fi router should be kept in line-of-sight to your device to get a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Dark spots are the points in our room where Wi-Fi signals get canceled out after reflection. So if you are not getting a good signal at a particular location, try switching your position a little bit. Here is the video explaining that:
- Many materials absorb a quite bit of the signals and a concrete wall absorbs the most.
- Some of the things which should be avoided when planning to keep a Wi-Fi router nearby are:
- Concrete wall
- Water body like an aquarium, the little fountain, microwave etc.
- A vertical antenna position helps make a better in horizontal space and Vice versa to get the best Wi-Fi signal.
Besides, the above observations which are mostly based on the physical locations of placing a Wi-Fi router, there are some other technical tweaks which help you improve your Wi-Fi router's performance. Some of the tricks to get a strong Wi-Fi signal are:
- Update router firmware
- Choose correct wifi channel
- Disconnect old devices from Wi-Fi router
- Replace antenna
- Restarting your router etc.
If you are more interesting in knowing about these Wi-Fi tweaks in more details, you can read it on Top 10 Best Ways to Improve Your Wi-Fi Router’s Performance
How to choose the best channel for your Wi-Fi router?
These days every other house has their personal Wi-Fi routers. These intelligent routers have the capability of choosing the best channel for a better performance but sometimes, that does not work as the perfect solution. Owing to that, we have already published an article over How To Increase Wi-Fi Speed by Choosing Correct Wi-Fi Channel. This article talks about the different channels, their frequency range, co-channel, channel interference and also running some diagnostics test on Mac and Windows to find the right channel for you.
I hope this article on how to get the best Wi-Fi signal in your house has been informative as it talks about all the aspects of a Wi-
Fi router like interference, channel etc. If you are also aware of some tricks which are capable of boosting the Wi-Fi and getting us a strong Wi-Fi signal, kindly share that in the comments below.