These questions include some details that are not a part of NordVPN’s in-depth review mentioned earlier. So, take a look the Q&A here (the answers are mentioned as they were conveyed to Fossbytes):
1. Provide the basic information about your company such as the registered name, jurisdiction, etc.
NordVPN is a Panama based company that is owned and operated by Tefincom co S.A.
2. What sort of user data is stored on your server? For how long it is stored?
NordVPN does not keep or record data for any VPN user. We do not store connection time stamps, used bandwidth, traffic logs or IP addresses. However, to be able to provide service and support for our customers, we need to keep user’s email address, username and payment information. This information is available at our disposal until user’s NordVPN account becomes expired or inactive.
3. How do you protect the identity and privacy of a user who uses your VPN service?
We do not store any identifiable information to begin with. As for user privacy protection, we install Vanilla OS onto each of our servers and configure them in a way where no logs are being recorded or saved. Moreover, each of our customer’s traffic is encrypted and sent through a secure tunnel, alternative to the one user’s ISP is providing.
4. What procedure do you follow if a federal body or private agency contacts you regarding an existing or past user? Do you inform the user if such event happens? Have such events taken place in the past?
We have never been contacted by any federal body or private agency nor have been presented with the order of any kind to reveal information about our users. To inform our users if such scenario will ever take place we have implemented Warrant Canary on our website.
4. Do you throttle internet speed in case of BitTorrent downloading, etc.? Do you have dedicated servers for the same?
We do not throttle traffic in any way. And yes, we have dedicated P2P servers in various countries.
5. At any point in time, are you aware of the actual IP address or any other details that could be used to identify in real time a user connected to your VPN service?
With the information we have, we are unable to identify the activity of any particular customer.
6. What payment options do you provide to the users and do you store user payment details? Do you provide any options which allow users to make payment without revealing their identity?
We accept all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, etc.), also PayPal and other online payment providers through Paymentwall (Alipay, UnionPay, and others) We do provide anonymous payments for our service with bitcoin.
7. In the event of a cyberattack on your servers, what countermeasures would you deploy? Has this ever happened in the past?
We have taken security measures against cyber-attacks which we would like to keep secret and we have implemented fail-over servers within our infrastructure in case one or some of them are out of order.
8. What kind of support do you provide for users? Is there any live chat option?
We provide 24/7/365 support to our users via live chat or email.
9. What is the current number of servers and countries? What are your future plans for expansion?
To date, we provide 1387 servers in 61 countries. Our plans for the future include expanding our server network to countries which experience the highest server loads. More specifically, UK, USA, AUS to name a few. We always take our customer opinion into account when choosing a new place to establish a server.
10. What do you think about free VPN services? Why should a user pay when there are free options available?
Unfortunately, nothing is free nowadays. If a provider offers a free VPN service, alternatively he has to look for other ways to make money from, in order to keep the business running. As a result, it is often done by selling user data to third parties, spying onto users or spreading malware, which defeat the whole purpose of a VPN service. Hence, from our point of view, only paid VPN services have a proper infrastructure and can provide high standard security solutions for users.
11. What makes your VPN service better than other available solutions? What’s your standout feature?
We, at NordVPN, strive to make Tim Berners-Lee’s vision of a truly open Internet a reality. Thus, we develop our service with one core goal – to keep the Internet as free as possible with absolutely un-compromised safety and privacy on the Web. Hence, our service has strict no logs policy, has military-grade encryption implemented, provides broad server network and has the most user-friendly interface. In addition, we offer Double VPN and Onion over VPN servers, as well as obfuscated servers to connect from locations with heavy Internet censorship.
So, did you like our in-depth review of NordVPN? If you have any question or suggestion, drop them in the comments.