Amazon Firestick comes bundled with a remote control to operate the device. While Firestick has made life easy for cord-cutters, its remote is a nuisance that often stops working.
Firestick remote not working is one of the most common queries of those who own the device. There could be any reason why your Firestick remote has stopped working and here, we have enlisted them along with the fixes you can use to make it operational again.
One of the most common reasons behind a Firestick remote not working is related to batteries or an obstruction that might be blocking signals from reaching the stick. If your Fire Stick remote is not working, here are some of the probable reasons and their fixes:
Firestick Remote Not Working: Reasons & Fixes
1. Firestick Remote Not Working Suddenly: Check Batteries
If your Firestick remote has stopped working suddenly, chances are that its batteries may have dried up. Unfortunately, Amazon Fire Stick does not display any warning when its batteries are about to dry up.
To fix the non-functional Firestick remote, try inserting the batteries again or using new batteries. In my experience, the remote hogs battery very quickly therefore, you can make it a routine to change batteries at a regular interval of time before the remote stops working.
2. ‘No Fire TV Remote Connected’ Error: Sync Firestick Remote
Usually, the remote comes pre-paired with the new Firestick but if you have replaced it with another remote or bought a new remote, you will have to pair it manually. Here’s how you can sync the Firestick remote:
- Plug in the FireStick to the TV and turn it on
- As the TV boots up, bring the remote within 10 feet of it.
- Press and hold the home button on the Firestick remote for at least 10 seconds
- Release the button and check if it’s working or not
- If not, repeat the above steps to try again. (Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to pair the Firestick remote)
3. Buttons on Firestick Remote Not Working: Reset Your Firestick
If the buttons of your Firestick remote aren’t working, there is a possibility that the batteries have dried up/ not inserted properly or the remote has suffered from physical damage. Remove the batteries, clean up any debris or battery residue inside the battery insertion area and re-insert the batteries properly. Now, check if the remote has started working.
If the buttons on your Firestick remote are not working, check if any buttons are sticking out of place or have suffered physical damage. If any specific button isn’t working, check it thoroughly for physical damage. In case you are suspecting physical damage, you can get the remote repaired by taking it to a technician or buy a new one.
Tip: Firestick remotes are usually difficult to repair and therefore, we recommend buying a new one instead of getting into the hassle of repairing it.
4. Fire Stick Remote Not Working Properly: Check For Obstructions/Inteferences
Theoretically, the working range of a Firestick remote is 10 feet or 3 metres as it works on Bluetooth but in reality the range is less than that. If your Firestick remote is not working, there could be any obstruction or interference between its sensor and the TV’s sensor that could be preventing it from working.
First, bring the device within the 10 foot range of the device plugged into the TV. Remove any obstruction like a furniture item or anything that could obstruct the signals. If the device in which the Firestick is plugged into is stored in a closed shelf or cupboard, take it out and place it in an open area. Check if the remote has started working or not.
If none of the above mentioned methods work for you, you can try resetting your Firestick remote.
How To Reset Firestick Remote?
To reset the Firestick remote, follow the below-given steps:
- Unplug the Firestick from the power source and wait for at least 1 minute
- Press and hold the back, menu and left navigation button together for at least 20 seconds
- Remove the batteries from the Firestick remote
- Power on the Firestick and wait until it boots up
- Reinsert the batteries and wait for 1-2 minutes
These steps will reset the Firestick remote and it will be paired automatically to your device. If not, press and hold the home button for 10 seconds before releasing it.
Use Amazon FireTV Remote App When Firestick Remote Isn’t Working
If none of the above methods are working for you and your Firestick remote is gone for good, you can use the Amazon FireTV remote app to operate the Firestick. Download the official app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store to run the Firestick from your smartphone.