Short Bytes: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release is finally here. The stable ISO images and torrents of Xenial Xerus are now available for download. Read more to know about the biggest changes and features of the open source OS and find download links and upgrade instructions.
The wait for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus is finally over. Canonical has finally released the latest iteration of the world’s most popular open source desktop operating system.
The latest release comes loaded with tons of new features, making it a better operating system on performance and visual fronts. Now you can move the Unity Launcher to the bottom of the screen. The latest version Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has also dropped the online search for Unity 7.
As Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus is a ‘Long Term Support’ release, it will continue getting updates for the next 5 years. This automatically makes it the recommended Ubuntu installation for the users.
Before going ahead and sharing the download links for you, I’ll take a moment and list the biggest features arrived in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus.
- The latest Ubuntu 16.04 release ships with Linux Kernel 4.4 that brings a long list of improvements in the form of system stability.
- The Ubuntu Software Center for GNOME Software has been dropped and Ubuntu Software center has got an upgrade.
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is the first Ubuntu release to support ZFS filesystem on Linux.
- Python 3,5 is now default in Ubuntu 16.04. The apps based on Python 2 will remain available and work on Xenial Xerus.
- Snappy is Ubuntu’s new packaging format that will allow you to get the latest version of apps instantly.
- Another great Ubuntu 16.04 feature is the option to upgrade the firmware straight from the OS.
- In Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Docker was upgraded to version 1.10 along with Ubuntu Fan Networking.
- Ubuntu 16.04 will also show you notifications about the latest software releases and updates.
You can know more changes and new features in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS here.
Download Links for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS — ISO Images and Torrents
After knowing about the new and advanced features introduced in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS operating system, it’s time to download the ISO files and torrents. To complete your download, you can use the links given below:
- Download Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ISO Images
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit Torrent
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 32-bit Torrent
Upgrading Ubuntu 15.10 LTS and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
If you are running an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu 15.10 LTS, you can always go for the upgrade. Before performing the upgrade, make sure that you are running a fully up-to-date machine. You can check this by opening the Update Manager from the Dash and install the available updates.
Ubuntu 15.10 LTS to Ubuntu 16.04
After checking for the new updates from the Unity Dash, you should see the prompt “New distribution release ‘16.04 LTS’ is available”. Now click on it and follow the instructions.
If you don’t see this notification, you can always force upgrade with this command:
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Ubuntu 16.04
After installing the updates from Dash, you need to open the Terminal and run the following command.
sudo update-manager -d
It’ll open the update manager, check few things and start the upgrade process.
So, are you installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on your machine? Do let us know in the comments below and don’t forget to add your views regarding the new release.