Windows 10 now runs on more than 800 million PCs across the globe. The number is quite massive but still, the popular operating system runs into problems and bugs quite often.
To name a few, it could be the 100% disk usage error that sucks users hard drive, or the ntoskrnl.exe process making your PC gasp for air. No to mention, how Microsoft was roasted for implementing cheap telemetry practices into its OS.
Of course, the list goes on. Ever since Windows 10 arrived as a free upgrade, some users have also experienced the Windows 10 brightness control not working issue on their machines.
Due to the weird bug, users can’t increase or decrease the brightness levels on their Windows 10 PC. So, for instance, the battery is running low and you find the brightness control not working. How bad is that?
Or, you’re struggling while watching that super dark episode of Game of Thrones and your laptop’s brightness isn’t changing.
I have faced it myself, and believe me, it’s more annoying than it sounds. But surely, there is a solution available. That’s why I have written this article to fix the brightness control not working issue.
How To Fix Windows 10 Brightness Not Working Issue?
Now, one big reason why you can’t adjust brightness on Windows 10 is that there might be some problem in the display drivers for the GPU (mostly integrated but can be discrete also).
So, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open Start Menu > Type Device Manager and open it.
- Find Display Adapters in the list. Click on it to expand and right-click on the relevant display driver.
- Select Update Driver Software from the menu to fix the Windows 10 brightness control not working issue.
- Next, click on Search automatically for updated driver software.
Now, your PC will use your internet connection to download the drivers that are necessary for proper functionality.
- You will see the driver is installed automatically and a message that Windows has successfully updated your driver software message along with the details of the hardware.
- If the Windows 10 brightness control issue still persists, it means that your graphics card manufacturer hasn’t provided any update. Now, you need to continue with the next step.
Here you can also go to your manufacturer’s website to manually check if there’s any driver update available.
- If the above doesn’t work, repeat the above steps of opening Device Manager and updating the display drivers.
From the How do you want to search for driver dialogue box, select Browse my computer for driver software > then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- From the Show compatible hardware option, choose Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and click on Next to proceed to fix the Windows 10 brightness control not working issue.
Now your PC will install the selected driver and your Windows 10 brightness control issue will be solved. You can check it by increasing and decreasing the brightness of your PC. So, I hope this might have helped you out if your desktop’s or laptop’s brightness is not changing.
Did you find this solution for Windows 10 brightness control issue helpful? Tell us in the comments below.
If you want more stuff related to Windows 10, feel free to read the dedicated Windows 10 Guide.