Currently, a majority of the flagship smartphones are powered by Snapdragon 865 SoC and as expected, Qualcomm will release Snapdragon 875 for the flagship smartphones of next year. According to a leak by 91Mobiles, it is speculated that Snapdragon 875 will be the first 5nm mobile processor from the company.
The leaks suggest that Qualcomm Snapdragon 875 will land with X60 5G modem-RF system, However, it is unclear whether the chip manufacturer company will, once again, go for the integrated 5G modem as it did in SD 865.
Codenamed as SM8350, the upcoming Snapdragon 875 is touted to have the following features, if the leak is something to be believed:
- 3G/ 4G/ 5G modem compatible with Millimeter wave (mmWave) as well as sub-6 GHz bands
- Adreno 660 GPU
- Adreno 665 VPU
- Adreno 1095 DPU
- Kryo 685 CPU built on Arm v8 Cortex technology
- Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU250)
- Low-power audio subsystem combined with Aqstic Audio Technologies WCD9380 and WCD9385 audio codec
- Quad-channel package-on-package (PoP) high-speed LPDDR5 SDRAM
- External 802.11ax, 2×2 MIMO, and Bluetooth Milan
- Spectra 580 image-processing engine
- Snapdragon Sensors Core Technology
The leak doesn’t say a word about the performance improvement Snapdragon 875 will bring over its predecessor but we’re certain that it’ll be considerable, owing to the new 5nm manufacturing method.
Qualcomm is expected to launch Snapdragon 875 sometime by the end of this year if everything goes as per the schedule and we’ll see it included in almost all the flagship devices in 2021.
Recently, we heard rumors that Qualcomm has canceled Snapdragon 865+ ( a beefier variant of SD 865) for 2020. Should we expect Qualcomm to release both SD 865+ and 875 in 2021?
Find your dream job