Qualcomm just launched a new Smartphone for members of its Snapdragon Insider fan community, made earlier this year. The device is called “Smartphone for Snapdragon Insiders” and costs up to $1,500.
The intent here was to showcase Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chip technology; however, it isn’t special at all. If anything, it is comparable to most android flagship devices, which is quite a shame considering the $1,500 price tag. The Smartphone is powered by Snapdragon 888 5G SoC, which is also a bit disappointing.
You must be wondering why it’s disappointing despite being the most powerful processor. Well, that’s because Qualcomm has already announced a more powerful Snapdragon 888 plus model. They should’ve replaced the older chip with a newer model as that would have been the perfect opportunity to showcase the performance of Qualcomm’s chip technology.
For the price of $1,500, they could have even gone with the Snapdragon 888 successor, which was leaked just a month ago. This could have been a great promotional activity on their end, but now it feels just like a missed opportunity.
Qualcomm’s Smartphone Specifications
The Qualcomm Smartphone was built in collaboration with ASUS and has a lot in common with the Asus’ ROG Phone 5 Ultimate despite being a limited edition phone. The specs, too, are exactly what you would expect from a flagship model released this year.
- Snapdragon 888 5G SoC.
- Adreno 660 GPU.
- Android 11.
- 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage.
- 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM.
- 6.78-inch Samsung AMOLED display (144Hz).
- Rear fingerprint scanner.
- Triple camera setup (64MP+12MP+8MP)
- Primary camera is Sony IMX686 64MP (8K UHD video recording at 30 fps and 4k UHD recording at 60 fps).
- 8MP telephoto lens for image stabilization.
- 24MP front camera.
- 4,000 mAh of battery power which supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 5.0 (up to 65W wired).
- Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2.
- MW08 wireless earbuds (usually go for around $299)
Unfortunately, considering the price point of $1,500, people might consider much better phones over this, such as iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S21 Ultra, Xiaomi MI 11 Ultra, and OnePlus 9 Pro.