Xiaomi has brought in some new features to the Gallery app in MIUI 12. The latest version of the app is part of the MIUI 12 China Beta builds. However, it’s not difficult to get it on your Xiaomi device right now.
XDA’s kacskrz was the first to spot the massive changes in the MIUI Gallery app v188.8.131.52. Here is what’s new —
Sky Replacement Filters (New)
Xiaomi introduced the Sky replacement feature with MIUI 11. It enables Xiaomi users to replace the background in an image with a sky background. In the new MIUI 12 Gallery app, there are several new sky replacement features.
For those who don’t know, OCR (Optical Character Recognition) allows the device to recognize text on an image. In the new version of the MIUI Gallery app, choose a picture, and you will find an option called “Recognize text” under the more option settings.
As XDA describes, the recognition is slow as the image is first uploaded to the Xiaomi servers for processing. This could be a privacy concern for many Xiaomi users.
Device Screenshot Frames
Another cool feature in the MIUI 12 Gallery app update is adding frames around the screenshot. The frames add the mockup of a device, but we think Xiaomi will eventually add more screenshot frames.
As of now, screenshot frames are available for Mi 9/9 Pro, Redmi K20/K20 Pro, Mi 10/10 Pro, and Redmi K30/K30 Pro.
Here is the changelog of the new MIUI Gallery app v184.108.40.206 (translated version) —
- The slide bar experience for a quick preview of photos is upgraded
- Time album revision experience upgrade
- Upgraded experience of album free sorting function
- Add photo to text function (OCR)
- Add and edit night scene change
- Add editing filters, water green, smoke green, light summer, blue dream, water blue, mojito, quiet
- Optimized editing function experience
- Optimized photo album scanning speed
- Fix several bugs and improve the smooth experience of photo albums
Get the MIUI 12 Gallery App vv220.127.116.11 right now!
Thankfully, the updated MIUI Gallery app is available on APKMirror. You can simply download and install the APK file on your Xiaomi device. Note that some features may be device-specific, so they may or may not work on your device.