Short Bytes: Simon Morris has invented a light bulb that combines magnetic levitation with the power transmission- ‘Flyte’. It consists of an LED bulb with a wireless power receiver and an electromagnet in its bottom.
Perhaps, it is for this reason, that a scientist Simon Morris, has finally turned his childhood dream into a reality after years of research. His new invention – Flyte levitating light bulb – combines magnetic levitation with power transmission.
Inside the wooden base, is a wireless power transmitter and another electromagnet. The bulb has a lifetime of 22 years based on six hours use a day- or 11 years at 12 hours per day.
Here’s how it works:
Find your dream job
- It consists of an LED bulb with a wireless power receiver and an electromagnet in its bottom.
- Inside the wooden base is a wireless power transmitter and another electromagnet.
- Placing the bulb on the base and releasing it slowly will see it rise and settle into position.
- Also, you can charge your phone by placing it over the base.
- The bulb has a lifetime of 22 years based on six hours use a day or 11 years at 12 hours per day.
Here, check out this video :
Morris always felt the necessity to bring the much needed change to the concept of bulbs , which hasn’t been altered over the past 135 years. ‘Flyte’ is currently being funded in Kickstarter for early pledges of $239. Although Morris has truly revolutionized the concept of bulbs, but when it comes to affordability, Flyte still lacks behind. One could buy approximately 50 Phillip’s low cost bulbs for that money
When it comes to light globes, this sure isn’t cheap. Although the high cost can question the practical application and popularity of ‘Flyte’ but then aren’t all of us still charmed by the magic of levitating ?
What do you think about the practicality of Flyte? Tell us in the comments below.