Short Bytes: Lumir C is a newer solution to the areas of the world which are power-deprived. Lumir C uses thermoelectric effect to generate electricity from a candle which powers an LED lamp eliminating the need for a battery. It has two variants as well namely Mood and the Spot.
One possible solution to this problem could be Lumir C, an LED lamp powered by a candle and it also does not require any battery.
How Lumir C works?
- Lumir C uses the thermoelectric effect to generate electricity to power an LED lamp.
- A small candle is lit and a lamp is placed on top of the candle.
- Lumir C has a clever windscreen surrounding the candle that has vents to ensure the flame does not snuff out.
- A large heatsink just directly above the candle absorbs all the thermal energy coming off the flame.
- The absorbed energy uses the thermoelectric (Heat to electricity) effect to generate power for the LED.
- LED is positioned at the top of the Lumir C.
- Thus, it takes just a candle to produce the sufficient temperature gradient to produce power.
Lumir C has two versions namely mood and spot.
Mood is an LED lamp which illuminates in all directions. The Mood has a maximum output of 15 lumens via four 0.2W LEDs, the same overall brightness as a candle. In terms of brightness, Mood doubles up the brightness output.
Spot directs a beam of light in only one direction. The Spot variant has a much higher 60-lumen output with a single 1W LED that can be pointed in whatever direction you want. That’s about the same brightness as a small flashlight. It’s good enough to read comfortably in an otherwise dark room.
You can visit Kickstarter campaign page of Lumir C to know more about the project and support it.