Student Catches Fire During Class After iPhone Explodes In His Pocket

Share on twitter
Tweet
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Share
iphone-explosion-in-pocket-3

iphone-explosion-in-pocket-3Short Bytes: After the recent Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explosions, Apple’s iPhones are eager to follow the tradition and burn their owners. In Burlington County, NJ during a class, an iPhone 6 Plus exploded in a student’s back pocket. The college student was lucky and he didn’t face any injuries. 

It looks like Apple iPhones can’t digest all the attention Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices are getting after their recent explosion spree. Making similar headlines, last week, we saw an incident where an iPhone 7 Plus was burnt to ashes before it reached its owner.

Now, Darin Hlavaty, a college student in Burlington County, NJ has faced the fury of an iPhone 6 Plus which exploded in his back pocket. The student claims that the blast created a hole in his pocket.

As a result of the explosion, the student caught fire during the class. According to media reports, he was reaching into his back pocket for a pen during his morning physical science class when he noticed some smoke rising from his jeans.

Talking to ABC, Darin said:

“Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire. I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg.”

Darin says that as he touched the “sparking” device, it was “super hot”. So, he threw it on the ground and kicked because it was on fire. His classmate Rebecca Bookbinder, who was sitting nearby, said that it happened so fast and soon they realized that the phone combusted in the middle of class.iphone-explosion-in-pocket-3

According to college authorities, when public authorities arrived at the incident, the fire was already out. But, they could still smell the smoke. After the incident, the students were moved to another classroom.

Darin says that he had the phone for about six months. There was just a simple crack on the device, but that couldn’t be any possible reason for the explosion.

“If you were on a phone call, had been sitting on your bed near a stack of papers, it could do a lot more damage than just burning a hole in your pocket. He’s very fortunate,” Rebecca added.

We have contacted Apple for an official statement. If we receive one, we’ll be updating the article.

Source: 6abc

Did you find this article helpful? Don’t forget to drop your feedback in the comments section below.

Also Read: iBag: Apple Reinvents Paper Bag — “A Paper Bag Is Disclosed”

Adarsh Verma

Adarsh Verma

Fossbytes co-founder and an aspiring entrepreneur who keeps a close eye on open source, tech giants, and security. Get in touch with him by sending an email — [email protected]
Scroll to Top