Apple has released the stable version of its latest OS update iOS 12 for iPhone/iPad and iPod as announced in the ‘Gather Round’ event held last week. In the event, Apple also showcased its upcoming iPhones named iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and iPhone Xr along with a freshly designed Apple Watch Series 4.
iOS 12, unlike its predecessors, does not focus on cramming a host of features; instead Apple has shifted its focus to improving overall user experience by adding features that are important and polishing the existing features and default apps. Apple has said that with the new iOS running on your device, apps will open 40% faster and you will be able to launch the camera from the home screen 70% faster as compared to iOS 12. Besides performance related improvements, other notable new features are improvements in Photos app, Screen Time, Siri Suggestions, Bedtime DND, Siri Shortcuts, a new Measure app, etc.
iOS 12 Compatibility: Will my device run it?
On the compatibility front, Apple has managed to make iOS 12 compatible with some of the oldest devices including iPhone 5s, iPad Mini 2, iPad Air 1, and even iPod Touch.
Basically, if you are running iOS 11 on your device, you will receive the iOS 12 update.
Here is a complete list of all the iOS 12 compatible devices —
How To Update Your Device To iOS 12?
If you are planning to update your device to iOS 12, then the first and foremost step towards it is taking a backup of your data stored in the device.
Backup Your Data
You can take backup your iPhone/iPad easily using iCloud. Follow the below-given steps:
- Go to the Settings app and tap on your name appearing below the search tab.
- Click on iCloud and then scroll then and tap on iCloud Backup option.
- Click on ‘Back Up Now’ to initiate the backup process.
After you have created a backup, the next step is to free up some space in your device for the new iOS. iOS 12 is 2.77 GB in size, so you need to clear up memory accordingly.
Download & Installation
- Fire up ‘Settings’ and go to General > Software Update.
- iOS will check whether the update is available or not and then you will be prompted to download and install iOS 12.
- Click on the download and install button and the iOS 12 will start downloading. You require a working Wi-fi connection and battery above 50% to start the process.
- Once you have downloaded the iOS 12 in your device, click on ‘Install and Agree with Apple’s Terms and Conditions’ to begin the installation process.
- Your device will start and the update will be installed.
The update released today is the first stable update of iOS 12. However, there are chances that there might be some bugs which could lead to app crashes and improper behavior of some features. If you do not want to deal with the bugs, you can wait for some time till the bugs surface and Apple releases bug fixes for them.