Short Bytes: The steps to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus from Ubuntu 15.10 are very simple. To make things even simpler, fossBytes has prepared an ultimate guide to help you through the process and install the latest version of this popular open source operating system on your computer.
The release date of Ubuntu 16.04 is just around the corner. You might have already read multiple positive points that tell why one should upgrade his/her Linux machine to Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus LTS. There are some discouraging signs for games with AMD GPUs, but the overall feature list makes it one of the best Ubuntu releases in the recent years.
If you are wondering about the installation and how to upgrade your Ubuntu 15.10 system to Ubuntu 16.10, we are here to help you. While some people insist on performing a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 installation, you can definitely go for the upgrade before the final release and after it.
How To Upgrade To Ubuntu 16.04 LTS from 15.10?
Before going ahead, make sure that you are running a working and updated version of Ubuntu 15.10 operating system on your computer. Having said that, let’s perform our installation.
You need to prepare your system for the upgrade. Here are the steps:
- Open “Software & Updates” option in the System Settings.
- Select the tab “Updates”.
- Under the option “Install Updates from”, click the box next to “Pre-released updates”.
- Here, set the “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version” drop-down menu to “For any new version”
After changing these settings, you need to open Terminal and enter some commands to perform the installation.
I’m upgrading to the pre-release builds before the final Ubuntu 16.04 release — what should I do?
Well, it should be noted that early builds of an operating system are not for everyone. If you are ready to deal with bugs and test features, go for it.
- Use the following command to update your Ubuntu system. Enter this command and wait for it to complete:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- Now run the Update Manager with by entering the following command:
sudo update-manager -d
This step should open the Update Manager and show you a button to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS from Ubuntu 15.10.
Ubuntu 16.04 final build is officially released — what should I do?
In this case, you need to check for the updates in the Unity Dash. To do this follow these simple steps:
- From the Unity Dash, open the Update Manager and allow it to check for new updates.
- You should see the upgrade prompt for the new Ubuntu 16.04 release.
- Now, hit the upgrade button and follow the on-screen instructions.
Ubuntu 16.04 is released and I don’t see any update in Update Manager — what should I do?
To solve this tiny problem, all you need to do is enter the following command to force the update using the Terminal.
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
Upon entering this command, you’ll be prompted to type your password and press ‘y’. Go ahead with these steps and upgrade your Ubuntu 15.10 installation to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus.
Bonus tutorial: This 6th long-term release of Ubuntu operating system allows you to try the new Unity 8 desktop environment.