Evolution and change are the necessities of our lives. The theory works in every department, including entertainment. We started with live theaters and went all the way to the typical cable network. Now it’s time to move on from regular cable and opt for an incredible streaming service like Sling TV. Presently 2.3 million Americans are part of this platform.
Watch your favorite anime for free with Funimation's 14-day free trial
Sling TV started its journey in 2015 with attractive plans and a free streaming version. The platform attracts many new subscribers due to its stacked library and exciting features. Many new subscribers struggle on the platform to find and access several functions, including the recording features.
Today, we’ll shed some light on how to record shows and movies on the forum. We’ll also guide you on how to protect the recordings from automatic removal. In addition, this article will also inform you about the pros and cons of this feature. That said, let’s quickly get started with our guide below.
Steps to record shows and films on the platform
The recording feature is the primary and essential function of all live TV platforms. Subsequently, Sling TV allows users to record their favorite titles on the platform. Moreover, it can be done in five simple steps:
1. Open the Sling TV platform and sign in with your credentials.
2. Now, head to the home page. Highlight the title you want to record and click on it.
3. Select the “Record” button with a red icon on the screen.
4. A pop-up window will appear with four options:
1. Record All Episodes: It will record all the episodes, including reruns.
2. Record New Episodes: It will only record the latest episodes.
3. Record This Episode Only: It will only record the opening episode.
4. Cancel: It will cancel the procedure and close the pop-up window.
5. Select one of the four options per your needs, and the recording will finally begin.
Note: The recording procedure will not be displayed on the home screen. So it would be best to open “My TV” and head to “Recordings” to confirm whether the recording started.
Sling TV does not provide unlimited storage, so we might need to delete some recordings. Let’s discuss how to delete them in the next section of this article.
Steps to remove recordings from Sling TV DVR
However, the platform automatically removes the oldest recordings as soon as its 50 hours of free DVR storage fills up. However, you can manually delete these recordings too. Let’s shed some light on the steps below:
1. Open the Sling TV and select “My TV” at the top of the home page.
2. Now, scroll down and click on “My DVR.”
3. Select “Manage” and choose the recording you want to remove.
Note: A checkmark sign will appear on the selected shows.
4. Finally, press “Delete” in the red on the top right corner of the page, and you’re done.
Moreover, you can also stop recording on the platform. You need to follow the same steps to navigate and select “My DVR.” Instead of selecting “Manage,” choose a title and press “Stop Recording.” Finally, choose “Yes” on the pop-up window to confirm your decision.
Can you protect the recordings from automatic removal on Sling TV?
Yes! You can also protect your recording from automatic removal. Since the platform provides limited storage, it has a function which removes all the recordings, starting from old ones, as the storage fills up. However, you can save some of your favorite movies or shows with simple steps:
1. Open the Sling TV platform and head to “My TV” or “My DVR.”
2. Choose the title you want to protect.
3. Now, click “Protect” on the screen next to the “Stop” button.
4. When the “Protect” button changes to “Unprotect, ” the procedure is completed.
Note: You can “Unprotect” the titles by following the same steps.
Is Sling TV DVR helpful?
While the recording feature helps a lot on the platform, some restrictions are annoying. So let’s check out its pros and cons to reach a verdict.
- The platform provides free storage for all the service users except for the free ones.
- It provides a “Protect” function to avoid automatically removing your favorite titles.
- Users can fast-forward ads in the recordings on DVR and DVR plus.
- It only offers 50 hours of free storage to DVR users.
- Users have to pay $5 per month extra to upgrade and get DVR plus, which allows us 200 hours of storage.
- Limited storage is a significant drawback against competitors like YouTube Live TV and Phil, who provide unlimited storage to subscribers.
As we can see, the feature has pros and cons in equal amounts. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether it is helpful on the platform. That’s all we have for this article. Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. While you’re here, check out our detailed and extensive introductory guide on Sling TV.