Want to record videos on Mac? Whether it is a gaming clip, a movie clip or a how-to video to assist your friend — screen recording on Mac can come out pretty handy in several ways.
You may also be planning to record a YouTube video or probably a Netflix video on Mac, although, the latter is quite difficult to accomplish. No matter the cause, you should know how to record videos on macOS should the occasion arise.
How To Screen Record On Mac With Audio?
Since the introduction of the macOS Mojave, recording videos on Macbook or capturing screenshots has become a child’s play. That does not mean it was difficult when the mac screen recorder could only be accessed through QuickTime Player, but it involved some more steps.
Nevertheless, let’s get started with how to record your screen on macOS —
- Open the Mac Screen Recorder panel using the shortcut: Shift-Command-5
- Click on the “Record Entire Screen” button or “Record Selected Portion” button depending on whether you want to record the full screen or just a portion of it.
- Now, click on the “Record” option on the panel to start screen recording on macOS.
- To stop the recording, you can either click on the Record button in the menu bar or use the shortcut: Command-Control-Esc. You can also stop the recording by heading back to the Mac Screen Recorder panel and clicking on the Stop recording button.
- The recording will appear in the floating thumbnail in the bottom right corner. Click on it to open the recorded file.
- Right-click → Delete on the floating window if you are not satisfied with the screen recording.
- Once you have opened the recorded file, you can trim the recorded clip via the Trim button at the top of the window.
Screen recordings on Mac are saved on the Desktop by default. However, you can change the save location in the macOS screen recorder panel under the “Options” menu. Here, you will also find audio settings for whether you want the screen recording on Mac with sound or without sound.
In addition, there is a Timer setting that can give a delay between pressing the record button and starting of the actual recording. You can also set “Show mouse clicks” for if you are making a how-to video.
How to Record video on Mac (via QuickTime Player)?
In case you are running an older version of macOS (10.13 and below), you can still record the screen on Macbook through the QuickTime Player. Here is how to do it —
- Open the app.
- Go to File and choose New Screen Recording in the menu bar. Alternatively, click on right-click on the QuickTime Player app icon on the dock and choose New Screen Recording.
- In the new window, click on the Recorder button, then click anywhere on the screen to start recording or drag to select a portion of the screen.
- To close the video recording, again right-click on the QuickTime Player icon on the dock and choose spot recording from the menu.
To record screen on macOS with audio, click on the down arrow right beside the recording button and tick any option available besides “None”.
While the macOS’ in-built screen recording tool can capture sound, the quality will not be as good as the clip’s real audio. The tool is good for capturing the user’s own voice, however, one should look for third-party screen recorders or try downloading the clip directly if the quality of the audio is a priority.