Almost every app and software tries to provide a dark theme for their interface, but WhatsApp has usually been late in implementing the same.
WhatsApp dark mode for Android and iOS recently became available to stable users, but the feature is yet to land on the web version. Now, we have finally found a way to enable dark mode on WhatsApp web too!
The method we are going to discuss here is a temporary workaround. The steps are pretty easy, so it won’t be much of a hassle for people who are unwilling to wait for the official rollout of Dark Mode on WhatsApp web.
Enable WhatsApp Web Dark Mode
Here are the quick steps to activate the hidden dark mode feature on Whatsapp Web right away without using any third-party extension:
- Visit web.whatsapp.com and log in using QR code if you aren’t logged in already.
- Right-click on the space outside the chat. Now click on “Inspect” on the menu.
Or you can use these keyboard shortcuts to open a browser console:
(a)For Mac: ⌘ + Shift + C
(b)For Windows/Linux: Ctrl+Shift+I
You will now see the interface shown in the below screenshot
- Press Ctrl+F and look for the code: body class=”web”
- Double click on it to edit and add “dark” to it. Now, the code will read: <body class=”web dark”
- Press Enter to apply the changes.
That’s it! Your WhatsApp Web will now have a dark theme.
Just like I mentioned in the beginning, this is a temporary solution meaning refreshing or closing the tab will restore the original WhatsApp theme.
There is no word on when WhatsApp will launch the dark mode for the web version. Keep following Fossbytes and we will let you know as soon as it arrives.