Continuing the development, Finnix founder Ryan Finnie has now announced a new version, Finnix 122, with a number of fixes, new packages, and features.
For those who don’t know, Finnix is one of the oldest Debian GNU/Linux-based Live CD operating systems for system administrators. It is still actively maintained and used for tasks such as filesystem recovery, network monitoring, and OS installation.
Finnix 122: What’s New?
As the previous version 121 was now built on top of the Debian 11 “bullseye,” the latest version 122 is now based on Debian 11 testing distribution featuring the latest long-term support (LTS) Linux Kernel 5.10.
Speaking of new features, Finnix 122 has reduced ISO size from earlier 509MB to now 411MB and improved boot speed.
Additionally, it has redesigned the boot splash screen and increased its timeout from 15 seconds to 30 seconds.
Find your dream job
If you’re using a system with older BIOSes, Finnix has also improved USB flash drive boot compatibility for it.
Furthermore, version 122 has added
finnix command to help you get started with system and
wifi-connect helper script to connect with uncomplicated Wi-Fi networks.
Among the new package additions, this is what Finnix 122 has included:
- iozone3 — filesystem and disk benchmarking tool
- rover — text-based lightweight frontend for update-alternatives
- iw — a tool for configuring Linux wireless devices
- crda — wireless Central Regulatory Domain Agent (CRDA)
- wireless-regdb — wireless regulatory database for Linux
- mscompress — Microsoft “compress.exe/expand.exe” compatible (de)compressor
- apg — a tool set for random password generation
- ftp — classical file transfer client
- ftp-ssl — FTP client with SSL or TLS encryption support
- keyutils — Linux Key Management Utilities
For complete details, you can read the official Finnix 122 release notes.
Lastly, if you want to try Finnix 122 right now, you can download the ISO image from here, available for 64-bit architecture. For 32-bit 586/686/PowerPC, you have to use the old version of Finnix.