As Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is under the UI development phase with a recent desktop theme update, Cassidy James Blaede, Co-founder & CXO, mentioned in his latest blog that Elementary OS 6 will release with a 20.04 base.
Reviewing 2019 and listing the great accomplishments and improvements along with the major release of elementary OS 5.1 Hera that broke the previous first-month downloads, his team has designed significant 2020 goals for making life much more comfortable with elementary OS.
Elementary OS 2020 Resolution
Several goals planned to get finished this year. Here’s a brief list:
- Organizing at least one in-person sprint or hackfest with possible themes AppCenter, Flatpak, or elementary OS 6.
- Improve the gesture support for one-to-one touch gestures.
- Dark mode variation availability and user-definable accent colors.
- Enable setting to change the terminal and code color scheme.
- Improve package management Flatpak.
- Making elementary OS ready for Wayland display server protocol (not likely to equip by default in elementary OS 6).
- Building new libraries and migrating to upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa).
As always, they don’t commit themselves to disclosing the release date in advance, boasting the trademark of “When It’s Ready.” It is a possible estimation that they might announce the elementary OS 6 release after Ubuntu 20.04 LTS hit the market in April.
To keep yourself notified with all Linux and open source releases and updates, keep following Fossbytes.