It’s been a while since Google released the first beta of Android 12L. For starters, it is Android 12 but with additional optimization and changes to make it suitable for use on tablets and foldable devices. The second beta of Android 12L is here, and here’s everything new in the same. If you want to know more about Android 12L and its features, check out our Android 12L feature article.
TL;DR.Android 12L is optimized for screens with more than 600dp. It has all the new perks of Android 12 but with an adaptive layout to better suit larger screens. There are also some additional features that make multi-tasking a tad bit easier.
Android 12L Beta 2: What’s New?
There’s nothing significant in the update except a few bug fixes. We’re not sure how many Android 12L beta updates will be released, but this one seems more like a polish which makes us think if this is all Google has in store for us. The goal was to make Android better on tablets, and it’s already looking pretty good.
Google also said this update is essential for developers as behaviors and APIs are finalized, hinting towards a stable release. “Starting in Beta 2, system behaviors and APIs are finalized. This is the time to begin the final testing and development work needed to ensure that a compatible version of your app is ready for users to get this update. 12L will have a standard API level (API level 32).
With the final APIs, it’s also time to shift focus to final compatibility testing and release your updated apps to users and downstream developers. You can also build with the final APIs and refine any new code using the new APIs or features.”
- Fixed an issue where the clock on the lock screen was not centered on the screen.
- Fixed an issue where all the recent apps in the recent app view showed as a black image with an “App isn’t available” toast message.
- Fixed an issue where using gestures to switch between apps sometimes left an image of the previous app’s state showing over part of the current app.
- Fixed an issue where some icons on the lock screen were too small when viewed on larger screens.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes the lock screen is not dismissed after unlocking a device.
- Fixed an issue that caused bitmap images to disappear or otherwise render incorrectly in widgets.
You can enroll in the Android 12L beta on your Pixel device here. What are your thoughts about Android 12L? Let us know in the comments section below.
Find your dream job