OnePlus has finally released Android 10 for OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T via OxygenOS Open Beta. As per the OnePlus maintenance schedule, Android 10 will be the last update for the 2017 smartphones.
The company promised Android 10 to OnePlus 5/OnePlus 5T users in the second quarter of 2020. Now, it has released Android 10 Open Beta 1 update according to its schedule.
OnePlus 5, 5T Android 10 Update
The company has announced an Android 10 update for OnePlus 5/5T on the OnePlus forum. The official changelog for Android 10 Open Beta 1 update is as follows:
- Brand new UI design brings light and fluid experience
- Updated to Android 10
Full-screen gestures (Oneplus 5T only)
- Newly added Hidden Bar to allow left-right switches for recent apps.
How To Get Android 10 For OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T?
The Android 10 open Beta 1 update is only available for a selected number of OnePlus users since this is a test update. Also, you won’t receive the OTA (Over-The-Air) update for this OxygenOS open beta.
However, unlike other OxygenOS open beta updates, you will receive stable updates as well as open beta updates once you install the Android 10 beta update.
In order to upgrade to Android 10, you can install the files directly on your device and follow the below-given steps. Here’s how you can update your OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T to Android 10:
- Download OxygenOS Android 10 Beta for OnePlus 5 or OnePlus 5T.
- Next, move the zip file from the downloaded folder to the root folder using any file manager.
- Go to Settings> System> System Updates and choose the local upgrade option by tapping on the cogwheel in the top right corner. Next, select the rollback file.
If you’re running OxygenOS open beta on your OnePlus 5/5T like I am, the only option left with you is to update from recovery. Make sure to take a backup of your data since it will be wiped during the process.
How To Get Android 10 For OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T Running OxygenOS Open Beta?
- Shutdown the device and press the power and volume up key until you see the Fastboot Mode screen.
- Go to the recovery option using volume keys and the power button. Choose the ‘English’ language.
- Choose Install from Internal storage -> Select the downloaded zip file -> Select ‘Yes’.
- Do not press any button until the installation is complete.
Once you complete the process, you can get your data back by installing the backup file on your device.
While you might be longing to install Android 10 on your OnePlus 5/5T, we would recommend waiting for a stable update as there will be bugs in the beta update.
If OnePlus follows its schedule and past is any evidence, we expect it to release a stable Android 10 update for OnePlus 5/5T by next month.