Short Bytes: Now activating Dark Mode in YouTube is even simpler. As it’s rolled out officially on an opt-in basis, you can activate the Dark Theme and Material Design with a single click. This move is in line with Google’s move to push a cleaner look across all platforms.In its recent Creators Update, Microsoft unveiled the Windows 10 Blue Light Filter that aimed to make working during the night an easy task. Another feature found in many smartphone apps that makes it easier to work at night is night mode–our Fossbytes Android app, too, has night mode.
Update: Dark Mode is now available without any tricks: You simply need to visit https://www.youtube.com/new and hit the Try Now button. After doing so, choose Dark Theme option from the profile icon or hamburger icon if you aren’t signed in.
The old trick continues from here:
This secret Dark Mode in YouTube was uncovered by a Redditor paul-, who found the menu and shared with the others. If you like staying up late till the morning watching YouTube videos, this YouTube trick can be pretty helpful to you.
Before going ahead and knowing about how to activate YouTube Dark Mode, check out this list of some cool YouTube tricks:
Enabling the YouTube Dark Mode is very simple. Follow the steps told below and activate it.
Note: Make sure that you’re running the latest Google Chrome, i.e, version 57 or higher
Activating YouTube Dark Mode
- Open your Google Chrome browser on PC or Mac. Check for version 57; update if required.
- Open Chrome developer menu. To do so, press Ctrl+Shift+I on Windows and Optin+Command+I on Mac. You can also access the developer menu via Chrome menu.
- Now click on the Console section paste the following code and hit Enter:
- After pasting the code, close the Console and reload YouTube website.
- Now, to access YouTube Dark Mode, you need to click on your avatar.
- In the drop-down menu, you should be able to see the Dark Mode setting.
- Click on Dark Mode to find the on and off toggle. Use the toggle and activate or deactivate the YouTube Dark Mode.
Here’s how YouTube looks in dark mode:
If you wish to get it working in other browsers like Chrome and Firefox, you can visit this Reddit thread to know the steps.
At the moment, it remains to be seen if YouTube would launch this feature officially in a future update. Meanwhile, use this hack and save your eyes.
Recommended: A Complete Guide On YouTube Tips and Tricks