If I asked you to tell me about the most expensive bikes on the planet, you will come up with a Harley, or an Ecosse- and with the awesome design and engineering inside you won’t even question the price. Now, what if I told you there’s a helmet that rivals your bike in its price and has the most sophisticated features ever yet!
Designed by Rockwell Collins, this $400,000 super helmet enables the pilot to see beyond the exterior shell of the plane. The helmet uses DAS (Distributed Aperture System) live videos from the top and back of the jet. The visuals of the images depend on the pilot’s head movement allowing them to see as if the plane was transparent.
The main advantage of the pilot inside the F-35 is that he will be able to see all across the air space without any hindrance, thus, giving him an edge while taking spontaneous decisions.
Hard time believing that! Listen what F-35 test pilot Billie Flynn has to say about the $400,000 super helmet:
Check out some amazing capabilities of this $400,000 super helmet:
- Biocular, 30×40-degree wide field of view with 100 percent overlap
- Virtual heads-up display
- Look through aircraft capability via DAS imagery
- High accuracy tracking with auto bore sighting
- Active noise reduction (ANR)
- Digital night vision sensor
- Ejection capability to 550 KEAS (knots equivalent airspeed, roughly 633 mph)
- Lightweight and well balanced
- Custom helmet liner for precise fit and comfort
- Multiple interpupillary distance (IPD) settings
- Video recording
- Picture in picture (compatible with eyeglasses and laser eye protection (LEP) devices)
The F-35 Helmets are an amazing technology and can be used in various applications such as navigation, and scouting through a highly trafficked area.
For more updates and interesting stories from fossBytes, subscribe to our newsletter. [newsletter_signup_form id=1]